Family members are often first in line for caregiving responsibilities, whether caring for a spouse or an aging family member. There are other care options. These ten things you didn’t know about homecare will provide you with details to make an informed decision. Learn the benefits of regularly scheduled in-home care visits for loved ones who need support.
1. Homecare can save money. If care costs for older adults were placed on a spectrum from most to least expensive, nursing homes would be at the top, followed by assisted living facilities. (Stats are from Institute on Aging). In an institutional setting, you would probably be paying for services you don’t need. When choosing homecare from AdvanceCare, you can set your care frequency according to your needs and budget.
2. There are many different levels of homecare available. Homecare can focus on providing help with routine activities of daily living, like sitting, standing, or moving around. Companion services encourage a loved one to participate in a hobby or provide transportation to meet friends for lunch. Personal care services can offer assistance with bathing, dressing, and grooming. We can also assist with pet care, light housekeeping, and transportation. AdvanceCare’s services are flexible and adaptable.
3. Homecare reduces depression and anxiety. Living at home gives older adults the freedom to live according to their priorities. As a result, homecare has been shown to promote a healthier and more independent lifestyle while increasing longevity. Staying connected to friends and family can reduce loneliness and sadness, improving the quality of life for the elderly.
4. Homecare can provide peace of mind for the whole family. Non-medical homecare is sometimes called respite care because it allows family members to enjoy some much-needed rest on a schedule that works for their needs. AdvanceCare’s services allow the family to recharge their batteries and return to their senior loved ones with more attention, focus, and energy.
5. Homecare provides trained support without the hassle. If your loved one has Alzheimer’s, takes multiple medications, or is nearing an end-of-life care situation, it’s essential to know that the caregiver visiting your home is trained and competent. AdvanceCare completes background checks on our caregivers, provides monthly training, and manages their schedules so you don’t have to.
6. Homecare allows you to keep your pet! The ability to stay living at home means your loved one won’t have to part with their beloved pet. For seniors, pet companionship has been shown to ease loneliness, reduce heart disease, and calm dementia patients. A caregiver’s help can allow seniors to enjoy the benefits of pet companionship, even if they need assistance caring for the animal.
7. In-home care gives you time to plan for the future. Care situations can arise unexpectedly Recovering from a hospital stay or surgery used to require a need to transfer people to a care facility. That is no longer necessary today, thanks to homecare. When families are unsure how a loved one’s abilities might improve, utilizing home care services gives them time to take a breath and evaluate the situation.
8. Homecare provides safety benefits. Our aging population is at higher risk of falls due to reductions in vision, hearing, balance, and mobility. The importance of homecare cannot be underestimated on this front. By providing assistance in a familiar environment, AdvanceCare can reduce the risk of surprises, falls, and debilitating and painful injuries.
9. Homecare prevents doctor’s visits and hospitalization. Older adults may avoid unnecessary appointments and hospital visits by managing their health conditions at home. Homecare helps by providing regular monitoring and medication management, preventing harmful drug interactions.
10. Homecare maintains dignity. While long-term care facilities aim to provide the best experience possible, many aspects are undesired, like sharing personal spaces and having many caregivers assist with toileting and bathing. Being at home allows people to maintain a sense of normalcy in their lives while maintaining independence.
AdvanceCare has been providing care services since 2009! Read Considering Homecare? to learn more about the benefits of homecare. Call 629-800-9614 to talk to a local homecare specialist or to set up a free consultation.