Caring for a loved one or a client can strain even the most resilient people. It is a tough job to do and can be very stressful. Our Caregivers at AdvanceCare know what this is like, and we have researched ways to avoid burnout and keep our Caregivers and clients happy.
1. Accept Help. If you are struggling in your position, don’t be afraid to ask or accept help. At AdvanceCare, we urge all of our caregivers to reach out to their supervisor if they are struggling, and we are always there to support them.
2. Set realistic goals. Break large tasks into smaller tasks so you can do things one at a time. Make a list and create routines. Begin to say no to requests that are draining or ask for help.
3. Set personal health goals. These goals could be establishing a good sleep routine, finding time to be active, eating a healthy diet, and drinking plenty of water.
4. Focus on your mental health. You should always take steps to make sure you are taking care of yourself. Mental health is super important, and if you need time off or someone to talk to, don’t be afraid to ask or reach out.
5. Take regular breaks. Breaks help relieve some of your stress and restore your energy. Use the time to do things that relax you and improve your mood.
6. Attend social activities. Doing things you enjoy and hanging out with friends and family is important to maintaining your happiness. Avoid isolating yourself and making your whole life about caring for someone. You need time for yourself.
7. Pay attention to your feelings and needs. Never ignore your feelings, or they will be suppressed and cause more damage and burnout. If you pay attention to your feelings and needs, it will help you live a better life and enjoy your job as a caregiver.
8. Take Time Off. Make use of your time off, and use it to relax and recharge. Taking time off is very important, and can help avoid burnout. Here at AdvanceCare, we allow flexible scheduling so you have the flexibility with your schedule and ability to take off time. We know that this is important to our caregivers, and allows them to be recharged and helps with their mental health.
9. Talk to other caregivers. Always talk to those around you, as they are going through the same things as you and likely the same emotions. This helps you get support and allows you to give support and encouragement to others going through the same thing. At AdvanceCare, we have our Facebook page as a place for our caregivers to get feedback and support. We know how important it is to talk to those going through the same thing, which is why our Facebook page provides a place for our caregivers to communicate with each other.
10. Look for the silver lining. Concentrate on the positives and the good days that you have. Remembering your motivations can help sustain you through difficult times.
These tips can help you avoid burnout, and we know firsthand that being a caregiver is both rewarding and stressful. We would not want any of our caregivers to become a burnout, so with these tips, we hope to help.
If you are interested in becoming a caregiver at AdvanceCare or have any questions about a caregiving career, call AdvanceCare’s helpful team today! 629-800-4215. You can email us too at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!